Orange County, North Carolina
Weather and Climate Synopsis
[National] [International] [Learning] [EWOCK] [Reg Clim Ctrs]
|(Click image to zoom) or Click Here|
A joint service of the UK Ag Weather Center and the National Weather Service.
Current Surface Map, [2nd Source TWC]
Map of 24 Hr Rainfall (7AM - 7AM EST), 7 Day Rainfall Animation
NOTE: "FAIR" INDICATES FEW OR NO CLOUDS BELOW 12,000 FEET WITH NO SIGNIFICANT WEATHER AND/OR OBSTRUCTIONS TO VISIBILITY. NCZ001-053-055-056-065-067-180200- WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS ASHEVILLE FAIR 78 64 61 CALM 30.09R JEFFERSON FAIR 71 63 77 CALM 30.15S MORGANTON FAIR 74 70 88 CALM 30.07R HICKORY FAIR 76 70 82 NE6 30.03R WILKESBORO NOT AVBL RUTHERFORDTON FAIR 79 73 83 CALM 30.03R MOUNT AIRY FAIR 76 72 87 CALM 30.06S BOONE FAIR 68 63 85 CALM 30.17R $$ NCZ021-022-025-041-071-084-088-180200- CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS CHARLOTTE FAIR 79 71 76 NE6 30.01R GREENSBORO MOCLDY 76 73 91 SE3 30.02S WINSTON-SALEM FAIR 75 72 90 CALM 30.04R RALEIGH-DURHAM MOCLDY 77 71 82 SE5 30.00F FORT BRAGG FAIR 75 75 100 E3 29.99F FAYETTEVILLE CLOUDY 76 75 97 NE3 30.00S BURLINGTON FAIR 77 70 79 CALM 30.01F ROXBORO FAIR 72 68 88 CALM 30.02F HENDERSON FAIR 67 66 96 CALM 30.00F LOUISBURG FAIR 72 70 94 S6 30.02S LAURINBURG FAIR 78 73 84 E6 30.01R $$ NCZ011-015-027-028-043-044-047-080-103-180200- NORTHEASTERN NORTH CAROLINA CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS ROCKY MT-WILSO FAIR 77 74 90 S6 30.00R GREENVILLE FAIR 77 73 88 CALM 30.03R WASHINGTON FAIR 74 71 91 S3 30.01F ELIZABETH CITY FAIR 78 73 84 W3 29.99S MANTEO FAIR 78 73 84 SW7 30.01R CAPE HATTERAS RAIN 79 77 94 SW9 30.02R FOG $$ NCZ078-087-090-091-093-098-101-180200- SOUTHEASTERN NORTH CAROLINA CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS GOLDSBORO FAIR 76 76 98 CALM 29.99F KINSTON CLEAR 75 73 94 CALM 30.02F KENANSVILLE FAIR 75 N/A N/A CALM 30.00F NEW BERN FAIR 75 75 100 CALM 30.02F CHERRY POINT LGT RAIN 78 74 87 CALM 30.03R BEAUFORT FAIR 79 76 90 S7 30.01S JACKSONVILLE MOCLDY 78 74 87 VRB3 30.00F THUNDER WILMINGTON LGT RAIN 76 76 100 CALM 30.00S $$
Current Temperatures, Dewpoint, RH, Wind, Regional Obs, Surface 4-Panel
.REST OF TONIGHT...Partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms this evening. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent. .SUNDAY...Partly sunny. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Light and variable winds, becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 20 percent. .SUNDAY NIGHT...Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 70s. Southwest winds around 5 mph. .MONDAY...Mostly sunny. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. South winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent. .MONDAY NIGHT...Partly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds around 5 mph in the evening, becoming light and variable. Chance of rain 30 percent. .TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT...Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Lows around 70. Chance of rain 40 percent. .THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT...Partly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Lows in the upper 60s. Chance of rain 50 percent. .FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT...Partly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Lows in the upper 60s. Chance of rain 50 percent. .SATURDAY...Partly sunny. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 80s. Chance of rain 30 percent.
12-48 Hr Surface Forecast Maps, TWC 4-Panel Surface Forecast, Fire Danger, Day 1 Precip, Day 2
6 TO 10 DAY 8 TO 14 DAY 30 DAY 90 DAY 120 DAY 180 DAY NOV05 NOV05-JAN06 DEC05-FEB06 FEB06-APR06 ----------- ----------- -------- --------- --------- --------- Temperature: Below Below Normal Normal Normal Normal Precipitation: Above Above Normal Normal Normal Normal .... Medium and long range outlooks provided by NCEP/K. Thomas Priddy6 to 10 Day , 8 to 14 Day , Text, 30-Day Outook, 90-Day Outook, 120-Day Outlook
Saturday August 17, 2019 the 229th Day of Year --------------------------------------------------- SUN Declination 13.190000 Distance 0.999717 AU Rise 06:35 EDT Set 20:01 EDT Transit Meridian 13:17 EDT Civil Twilight Begins 06:09 EDT Ends 20:27 EDT Calculations made for central point in the state. Time in ET -- and will vary due to location and elevation -- Priddy
////////////////////////// AUGUST 17TH...HISTORIC WEATHER EVENTS ...1915... A hurricane hit Galveston TX with wind gusts to 120 mph and a twelve foot storm surge. The storm claimed 275 lives, including forty-two on Galveston Island, with most deaths due to drowning. Of 250 homes built outside the seawall (which was constructed after the catastrophic hurricane of 1900), just ten percent were left standing. (The Weather Channel) ...1969... Camille, the second worst hurricane in U.S. history, smashed into the Mississippi coast. Winds gusted to 172 mph at Main Pass Block LA, and to 190 mph near Bay Saint Louis MS. The hurricane claimed 256 lives, and caused 1.3 billion dollars damage. Several ocean going ships were carried over seven miles inland by the hurricane. The hurricane produced winds to 200 mph, and a storm surge of 24.6 feet. Complete destruction occurred in some coastal areas near the eye of the hurricane. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel) ...1987... Evening thunderstorms produced severe weather in the Northern and Central Plains Region. One thunderstorm spawned a tornado near Fairbury NE, along with baseball size hail and wind gusts to 100 mph, causing severe crop damage west of town. Ten cities in the eastern U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date. Syracuse NY hit 97 degrees for the first time in twenty-two years. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data) ...1988... Fifty-five cities, from the Middle Mississippi Valley to the Middle Atlantic Coast Region, reported record high temperatures for the date. Beckley WV reported an all-time record high of 96 degrees, and Baltimore MD hit 104 degrees, marking their thirteenth day of the year with 100 degree heat. Chicago IL equalled a record with 46 days of 90 degree weather for the year. Thunderstorms produced severe weather from Wisconsin to New Jersey. Thunderstorms in New Jersey produced high winds which gusted to 92 mph at Wrightstown, and blew down a circus tent at Lavallette injuring fourteen persons. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data) ...1989... Morning thunderstorms produced three to six inch rains in Oklahoma, and the Arkalatex area of Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana. Tom OK was soaked with 5.98 inches of rain, and Foreman AR received 5.55 inches. Evening thunderstorms produced high winds in the Wasatch Front of northern Utah. Thunderstorm winds gusted to 66 mph at Salt Lake City, and flash flooding caused up to two million dollars damage to a marina on Lake Powell. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)